In this part, you can learn the names of different places in Farsi. After learning these words, you can click on asking the way to find useful phrases to ask addresses and directions.
In Farsi, some suffixes demonstrates that a word is a name of a place. So before going to learn places in Farsi, let’s take a look at some of these suffixes:
– One of the most frequent ones are “-gâh” as in “dânešgah”, a place for knowledge which is university, or “forudgâh”, a place for landing which is airport.
– Another suffix is “i” that changes the name of a job to the place which is allocated to that job, “nânvâ” is a baker and “nânvâyi” is a bakery.
– “-estân” is also a frequent suffix in Farsi. This suffix is mostly found in the name of countries like “Tâjikistân” or “Armanestân”, or some other places such as “bimârestân”, a place full of sick people which is hospital and “golestân”, a place full of flowers.
In addition to suffixes, two words are also used frequently to form names for places:
– “xâne(h)”, (“xune(h) in spoken Farsi), which means house by itself. So “dâruxâne(h)” is a house for “dâru”, medication, which means pharmacy and “ketâbxâne(h)” is a house for “ketâb”, book, which means library.
– “foruši” is the present root of “foruxtan”, to sell. So when this word is combined with a name of an item, it makes a place that we go to buy the item. For example, “golforuši” and “bastani foruši” mean flower shop and ice-cream shop, respectively.
The last important thing to keep in mind is that some places’ names are different in Iranian Farsi, Dari and Tajiki. In this part, the focus was on the Farsi (Persian Iranian) that is spoken in Iran. Therefore, if you are learning Farsi to work or travel in Afghanistan or Tajikistan, make sure to check the common names in those areas.